Natural convection flow in the cavity with isoflux boundaries
AbstractNatural convection flow in rectangular cavities with uniform heat flux side walls and an adiabatic floor and ceiling is investigated. The analytical solution for the evenly heated and cooled infinitely tall cavity, obtained by integrating the energy equation over a certain control volume, is introduced and compared to a full numerical solution for the finite cavity. Numerical solutions have been obtained for cavities with height-to-width ratios of 1 to 10, various values of the heat flux and with parameters appropriate to both air and water. For high enough aspect ratio and/or Rayleigh number the numerical solutions at mid-height of the cavity and the cavity stratification are well predicted by the analytical solution for the infinite cavity. The flow on the cavity side walls is then one dimensional. References
- Armfeld, S. W., and Patterson, J. C., Direct simulation of wave interactions in unsteady natural convection in a cavity. Int. J. Heat Mass Transfer 34 (1991) 929--940. doi:10.1016/0017-9310(91)90004-X
- Armfeld, S. W., and Patterson, J. C., Wave properties of natural convection boundary layers. J. Fluid Mech. 239 (1992) 195--211.
- Desrayaud, G., and Nguyen, T. H., Instabilities themoconvectives dans une cavite a flux imposes, in Douzieme Congres Canadien de Mecanique Appliquee (1989) 716--717.
- Jiracheewanun, S., Armfield, S. W., Behnia, M., and McBain, G. D., The transient behaviour of a differentially heated cavity with isoflux boundaries, Proc. 15th A'asian Fluid Mechanics Conf. (2004) Paper AFMC00246.
- Kimura, S. and Bejan, A., The boundary layer natural convection regime in a rectangular cavity with uniform heat flux from the side, J. Heat Transfer 106 (No. 1) (1984) 98--103.
- Leonard, B. P., A stable and accurate convective modeling procedure based on quadratic upstream interpolation, Comp. methods appl. mech. engr. 19 (1979) 59--98. doi:10.1016/0045-7825(79)90034-3
- Lietzke, A. F., Theoretical and experimental investigation of heat transfer by laminar natural convection between parallel plates, (NACA, 1955) Report 1223.
- McBain, G. D., Armfield, S. W. and Jiracheewanun, S., The conduction and convection regimes in a cavity with evenly heated and cooled vertical walls, 8th Australasian Heat and Mass Transfer Conf. (2005). (in press)
- Norris, S. E. and Armfield, S. W., Solving the Navier--Stokes equations on a workstation cluster, ANZIAM J. 42(E) (2000) C1058--C1075. http://anziamj.austms.org.au/V42/CTAC99/Norr
- Patterson, J. C. and Armfield, S. W., Transient features of natural convection in a cavity, J. Fluid Mech. 219 (1990) 469--497.
- Patterson, J. and Imberger, J., Unsteady natural convection in a rectangular cavity, J. Fluid Mech. 100 (1980) 65--86.
Proceedings Computational Techniques and Applications Conference