On calibrated weights in stratified sampling
Keywords:Stratified sampling, calibration estimation, auxiliary information
AbstractIn this paper, we propose a calibration estimator of population mean in stratified sampling using the known mean and variance information from multi-auxiliary variables. The problem of determining the optimum calibrated weights is formulated as a Nonlinear Programming Problem (NLPP) that is solved using the Lagrange multiplier technique. Numerical example with real data is presented to illustrate the computational details of the proposed estimator. A comparison study is also carried out using real and simulated data to evaluate the performance and the usefulness of the proposed estimator. The study reveals that the proposed estimator with multi-auxiliary information is more efficient estimator of the population mean as it provides least estimated variance and highest gain in relative efficiency (RE). References
- Jean Claude Deville and Carl Erik Sarndal. Calibration estimators in survey sampling. Journal of the American statistical Association, 87(418):376–382, 1992. doi:10.1080/01621459.1992.10475217.
- Victor M Estevao and Carl Erik Sarndal. Survey estimates by calibration on complex auxiliary information. International Statistical Review, 74(2):127–147, 2006. doi:110.1111/j.1751-5823.2006.tb00165.x
- Patrick J Farrell and Sarjinder Singh. Model-assisted higher-order calibration of estimators of variance. Australian and New Zealand Journal of Statistics, 47(3):375–383, 2005. doi:10.1111/j.1467-842X.2005.00402.x
- Wolfram Research, Inc. Mathematica, Version 11.3. Champaign, IL, 2018.
- Jong Min Kim, Engin A Sungur, and Tae Young Heo. Calibration approach estimators in stratified sampling. Statistics and probability letters, 77(1):99–103, 2007. doi:10.1016/j.spl.2006.05.015
- Phillip S Kott. Using calibration weighting to adjust for nonresponse and coverage errors. Survey Methodology, 32(2):133, 2006.
- Dinesh K Rao. Mathematical programing in stratified random sampling. PhD thesis, School of Computing, Information and Mathematical Sciences, The University of the South Pacific, Fiji, February 2017.
- Dinesh K. Rao, Tokaua. Tekabu, and Mohammad G M Khan. New calibration estimators in stratified sampling. In Proceedings of Asia-Pacific World Congress on Computer Science and Engineering, pages 66–70. IEEE, 2016.
- Gurmindar K Singh, Dinesh K Rao, and Mohammed GM Khan. Calibration estimator of population mean in stratified random sampling. In Proceedings of Asia-Pacific World Congress on Computer Science and Engineering (APWC on CSE), pages 1–5. IEEE, 2014.
- Sarjindar Singh, Stephen Horn, and Frank Yu. Estimation of variance of general regression estimator: Higher level calibration approach. Survey Methodology, 24:41–50, 1998.
- Sarjinder Singh. Advanced Sampling Theory With Applications: How Michael "Selected" Amy, volume I and II. Kluwer Academic Publishers, Netherlands, 2003.
- Sarjinder Singh. On the calibration of design weights using a displacement function. Metrika, 75(1):85–107, 2012. doi:10.1007/s00184-010-0316-6
- Sarjinder Singh, Stephen Horn, Sadeq Chowdhury, and Frank Yu. Theory and methods: Calibration of the estimators of variance. Australian and New Zealand Journal of Statistics, 41(2):199–212, 1999. doi:10.1111/1467-842X.00074
- D S Tracy, S Singh, and R Arnab. Note on calibration in stratified and double sampling. Survey Methodology, 29(1):99–104, 2003.
- Changbao Wu and Randy R Sitter. A model-calibration approach to using complete auxiliary information from survey data. Journal of the American Statistical Association, 96(453):185–193, 2001. doi:10.1198/016214501750333054
Proceedings Engineering Mathematics and Applications Conference