Large eddy simulation of a stenosed artery
Keywords:CFD, LES, artery, blood flow
AbstractA large eddy simulation is conducted of a 50% stenosed artery. The inlet boundary condition is a physiologically accurate pulsatile flow, representative of that found in a femoral artery. The transient, three dimensional results show the non-axisymmetric nature of the flow field; high values of wall shear stress, oscillatory in both space and time are also observed. The identification of such fluid dynamic quantities within a stenosed vessel is important in understanding the likely causes and ongoing effects on the integrity of the vessel. References
- S. A. Berger and L-D. Jou. Flows in Stenotic Vessels. Annu. Rev. Fluid Mech. 32:347--382. 2000. doi:10.1146/annurev.fluid.32.1.347
- M. Li, J. Beech-Brandt, L. John, P. Hoskins, W. Easson. Numerical Analysis of Pulsatile Blood Flow and Vessel Wall Mechanics in Different Degrees of Stenoses. J. Biomechanics 40:3715--3724. 2007. doi:10.1016/j.jbiomech.2007.06.023
- S. S. Varghese and S. H. Frankel. Numerical Modeling of Pulsatile Turbulent Flow in Stenotic Vessels. J. Biomech. Eng. 125 (445--460). 2003. doi:10.1115/1.1589774
- S. S. Varghese, S. H. Frankel and P. F. Fischer. Direct numerical simulation of stenotic flows. Part 2. Pulsatile flow. Journal of Fluid Mechanics., 582:281--318. 2007. doi:10.1017/S0022112007005836
- B. Xiao and Y. Zhang. Numerical simulation of pulsatile turbulent flow in tapering stenosed arteries. Int. J. Numerical Meth. Heat Fluid Flow, 19(5):561--573. 2009. doi:10.1108/09615530910963526
- B. Lieber and D. Giddens. Post-stenotic core flow behavior in pulsatile flow and its effects on wall shear stress. J. Biomech., 23(6):597--605. 1990. doi:10.1016/0021-9290(90)90052-5
- M. Paul, Md. M. Molla and G. Roditi. Large eddy simulation of pulsatile blood flow. Medical Engineering and Physics, 31:153--159. 2009. doi:10.1016/j.medengphy.2008.04.014
- W. W. Nichol and M. F. O'Rourke. McDonald's Blood Flow in Arteries: Theoretical, Experimental and Clinical Principles, Hodder Arnold, London, 5th edition. 2005.
- D. N. Ku. Blood flow in arteries. Annu. Rev. Fluid Mech. 29:399--434. 1997. doi:10.1146/annurev.fluid.29.1.399
- D. Lilly. A Proposed Modification of the Germano Subgrid-Scale Closure Model. Physics of Fluids, 4:633--635. 1992. doi:10.1063/1.858280
- B. Geurts. Elements of direct and large eddy simulation. R. T. Edwards, 2004.
Proceedings Engineering Mathematics and Applications Conference