Free-surface flow under a sluice gate of an inclined wall from deep water
Keywords:Free surface flow, sluice gate, boundary integral equation, stagnation point
AbstractNonlinear solutions of free surface flow under a sluice gate are studied. Upstream, the fluid is assumed to be infinitely deep, and the gate is at an angle to the horizontal axis. The flow emerges from the gate and produces a uniform flow far downstream. The problem is solved numerically by a boundary element method derived from an integral equation along the free surface. An analytical function is constructed, related to the upstream flow, so that the integral equation is solvable. As a result, a free surface flow with smooth detachment from the edge of the gate is obtained for relatively large upstream Froude numbers. As the Froude number decreases, a free surface with back flow near the edge of the gate occurs, until at a certain Froude number a stagnation point occurs. References
- D. D. Frangmeier, T. S. Strelkoff, Solution for gravity flow under a sluice gate, ASCE J. Engng. Mech. Div., 94, 1968, 153--176.
- B. E. Lorock, Gravity-affected flow from planer sluice gate, ASCE J. Engng. Mech. Div., 96, 1969, 1211--1226.
- Y. K. Chung, Solution of flow under sluice gates, ASCE J. Engng. Mech. Div., 98, 1972, 121--140.
- J. Asavanant, J.-M. Vanden-Broeck, Nonlinear free surface flows emerging from vessels and flows under a sluice gate, J. Austral. Math. Soc., 38, 1996, 63--86. doi:10.1017/S0334270000000473
- J.-M. Vanden-Broeck, Numerical calculations of the free-surface flow under a sluice gate, J. Fluid Mech., 330, 1996, 339--347. http://journals.cambridge.org/abstract_S0022112096003849
- B. J. Binder, J.-M. Vanden-Broeck, Free surface flows past surfboards and sluice gates, Eur. J. Appl. Maths., 16, 2005, 601--619 doi:10.1017/S0956792505006443
- B. J. Binder, J.-M. Vanden-Broeck, The effect of disturbances on the flows under a sluice gate and past an inclined plate, J. Fluid Mech., 576, 2007, 475--490 doi:10.1017/S0022112007004806
- J.-M. Vanden-Broeck, E. O. Tuck, Flow near the interaction of a free surface with a vertical wall, SIAM J. Appl. Math., 54, 1994, 1--33. doi:10.1137/S0036139992240838
- L. H. Wiryanto, J. Widjaja, B. Supriyanto, Free-surface flow under a sluice gate from deep water, Bul. Malay. Math. Soc., 34, 2011, 601--609. http://www.emis.de/journals/BMMSS/vol34_3_17.html
- L. H. Wiryanto, E. O. Tuck, A back-turning jet formed by a uniform shallow stream hitting a vertical wall, Proc. Int. Conf. on Dif. Eqs., Kluwer Academic Press, 1997.
- L. H. Wiryanto, E. O. Tuck, An open-channel flow meeting a barrier and forming one or two jets, J. Austral. Math. Soc., 41, 2000, 458--472. doi:10.1017/S0334270000011760
- L. H. Wiryanto, Small Froude number solutions of flow caused by a line source, J. Indones. Math. Soc., 6, 2000, 1--6.
- G. C. Hocking, L. K. Forbes, A note on the flow induced by a line sink beneath a free surface, J. Austral. Math. Soc. B, 32, 1991, 251--260. doi:10.1017/S0956792507006924
- G. C. Hocking, L. K. Forbes, Subcritical free-surface flow caused by a line source in a fluid of finite depth, J. Eng. Math., 26, 1992, 455--466. doi:10.1007/BF00042763
- L. H. Wiryanto, Zero gravity of a jet emerging from a slit, J. Indones. Math. Soc., 12, 2006, 89--98.
- L. M. Milne-Thomson, Theoretical hydrodynamics. Dover Publications, Inc., 1968, 274--281.
Proceedings Computational Techniques and Applications Conference